After a year like no other, there’s still plenty of festive cheer in the inner city and inner west.
We’ve found lots of ways to celebrate the joy of the season in our neighbourhood.
Carols and Concerts
Understandably, Christmas carols and concerts will be a little different this year, with some (like the well-loved Alexandria Village Christmas Concert) not going ahead at all. Happily, there are several COVID-safe inner city and inner west events for the whole family to enjoy.
- Join in with the Sydney, Waterloo and Green Square Christmas Singalong 2020 from home. Organised by the City of Sydney, it features Sydney choirs, musicians, ukulele performances and community singalongs and will be streamed via Zoom from 6pm on Thursday 10 December.
- Enjoy an afternoon of socially distanced picnicking and carols at Carols in the Graveyard in Newtown on Sunday 13 December. Bring the kids, a rug and something to eat and enjoy jazzy Christmas tunes played by a professional band.
- There will be two Village Christmas Carols sessions in Annandale on Sunday 20 December – one in the afternoon for the kids and another in the evening for the grown-ups with a BBQ for all to enjoy in between.
No-one will be sitting on Santa’s lap this year, but the kids (and you!) can still have their photo taken with the big man from a safe 1.5m distance.
- The Grounds of Alexandria are famous for their gorgeous Insta-worthy decor, and their 2020 Santa set up is sure to impress.
- Christmas isn’t just for kids! Your favourite four-legged friends can get a pet photo with Santa at Marrickville Metro. There’s also a sensory-friendly Sensitive Santa for Santa photos in a relaxed environment.
It’s been a tough year for local businesses, so when you’re doing your Christmas shopping this year, consider lending your support by shopping small and local.
- A Local Rewards gift card makes a perfect gift and is a great way to support local businesses in Surry Hills, Redfern, Potts Point and Darlinghurst. It’s a prepaid EFTPOS card that unlocks discounts and special offers at participating local businesses including shops, restaurants, cafes and more.
- The Carriageworks Farmers Markets in Eveleigh, with its ultra-fresh produce from NSW’s best growers and producers, is an ideal place to pick up the ingredients for a Christmas feast. It’s on every Saturday from 8am, and there’s also a special Christmas Twilight Market on Wednesday 23 December.
Get crafty this Christmas with these local workshops.
- Design, print and make your own wrapping paper, gift tags, cards and gift boxes in a fun Risograph workshop at the Joynton Avenue Creative Centre in Zetland on Sunday 6 December. No drawing skills or previous experience necessary.
- Make your own wreath at the Merchant & Green Deluxe Christmas Wreath Workshop in Redfern on Sunday 6 December. The class is perfect for beginners and there’s even a glass of Bollinger champagne on arrival.
Christmas is the ideal time to give something back. Many charities that would ordinarily welcome volunteers are unable to do so this Christmas due to COVID restrictions. Here are some other ways you can support local charitable causes.
- The Rotary Club of Sydney are hosting a Christmas party for disadvantaged kids at the PCYC South Sydney in Redfern on Friday 11 December. They’re seeking donations of children’s Christmas gifts, party food and money to cover the costs of staging the party.
- Father Riley’s Youth Off The Streets runs two crisis centres in the inner west for homeless young people. This year they’re raising money with a Christmas cash raffle. Buy a ticket and you could win big whilst helping children in need.
Taking in the local Christmas lights from the car is a good way to stay COVID-safe whilst getting into the festive spirit this year.
- Possibly the inner west’s most famous Christmas lights are found in Pleasant Avenue, Erskineville. In 2013 an immigration-themed display even made the news.
- Still in Erskineville, the George Street Park Christmas tree light display is worth a visit each year.
No matter how you choose to celebrate, we wish you all a safe and happy festive season.
To find out more about buying and selling real estate in Sydney’s inner city and inner west, contact us today.